Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Memories

I remember our walks in the rain. Me and you getting totally wet with our umbrellas in our bags.

I remember us at the movies. Your beautiful eyes getting wet with tears during every emotional scene and holding my hand tighter.

I remember our times of silence when one of us would suddenly break into a song and the other would follow and then the rest of the time would be spent dancing and singing. So much for the silence.

I remember us with our friends at the club. Us sitting in a corner, sharing a Diet Coke and assigning silly names to couples and their dances on the dance floor.

I remember us slow dancing. Both of us occasionally stepping on the other's foot simply because we got lost in each other's eyes.

I remember our talks which would sometimes develop into debates and then into arguments ending with me trying to hide the flower vase so that you wouldn't throw it at me.

I remember our bus rides. Both of us looking out of the window and then suddenly looking at each other and breaking into laughter.

I remember us being partners in crime. Bunking classes together,not submitting assignments because we were busy with each other.

I remember the time when we both played with Barbie dolls to cheer up your sister when she was hospitalised. Ken and Barbie. Plastic romantic couples. Crazy in love.

I remember our walks at Marine Drive, eating Bhuttas and having silly chat.

I remember trying to call you up and apologise on days when we had a fight, only to get an engaged tone because you were busy dialling my number trying to do the same.

I remember us trying to make shapes out of clouds on Sunday afternoons.

I remember the silly names that we had for each other from time to time.

I remember you helping me burn my answer sheets because I hadn't done well in my exams.

I remember us sitting together and reading books in a cafe. Occasionally one of us would read out some interesting lines to the other.

I remember me trying to get you interested in F1 racing and you trying to get me interested in The Oprah Winfrey Show.

I remember the crossword puzzles that we solved together.

I remember your sad face when I said goodbye to you at the airport.

I wish our good times had never ended. I still hate fate for drifting us apart. Two young leaves set free on two different tributaries, hoping that they meet in the ocean.

Copyright Sudheesh Satheeshkumar.

No comments: